Helpful Community Resources During COVID-19 Pandemic
Some of these resources are already listed in our Senior Resources page, but we have pulled some up and added others to better help our community during the pandemic. Follow links or call these resources for more information.
Area Agency on Aging 1-B: Services and resources for seniors or those caring for older adults. Resources include information on: housing, transportation, Meals on Wheels, legal assistance, support groups for families of caregivers, bill paying assistance, government assistance eligibility, help for seniors with disabilities, and more.
TTY: 1.800.649.3777 (Michigan Relay)
- Catholic Charities of Southeast Michigan: Serving people of all faiths in times of need. Provides services and resources for adoption and foster care, adult day health services, food assistance, behavioral health, Hispanic outreach services, crisis intervention, and more.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Ipdated information about the COVID-19 pandemic. Resources for the community about symptoms, protecting yourself, and guidelines for organizations during the health crisis.
- Gleaners Community Food Bank: Provides essential resources and access to food for those in need within Southeastern Michigan.
You can also get help with food assistance in Michigan by dialing 2-1-1
- Haven of Oakland County: Provides resources and support for those experiencing domestic or sexual violence and survivors. Haven provides support in the form of: shelter, counseling, court advocacy and more.
24/7 Crisis & Support: 248.334.1274
Toll-Free Crisis Line: 1.877.922.1274
- Lighthouse of Southeast Michigan: Helps provide basic needs such as food and emergency shelter for those in need. Provides direct assistance in finding clothing, rental/assistance, shelter, and crisis referrals.
- Michigan.gov: The State of Michigan’s updated response and resources for dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic. Up-to-date press releases and executive directives. Resources include: help for small business, links for filing for unemployment, food assistance, finding health insurance, locating your school meal pick-up site, and more.
COVID-19 Hotline: 1.888.535.6136 – 7 days a week 8a-5p.
- Michigan 2-1-1: An all-in-one resource for community help and support within your community. Individuals can find help with food, housing, paying bills, crisis support, education, transportation, employment, childcare, healthcare, and more. Multilingual help available 24/7 via telephone, text, and chat.
Dial 2-1-1 or 844.875.9211
Text your zip code to 898211
- Michigan Humane Society: provides compassionate care and resources for animals in the community. Services and resources include pet adoption, fostering, advocacy, cruelty investigation, vet clinic, free pet sterilization, and more.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): Resources provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that help find treatment options for those suffering from substance abuse, mental and behavioral health issues and emotion distress brought upon by natural and human-caused disasters. They offer a Disaster Distress Helpline, 1.800.985.5990, which is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. It offers toll-free, confidential and multi-lingual assistance from trained counselors.
24/7 national crisis counseling hotline: 1.800.985.5990
Text TalkWithUs to 66746
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Provides resources and dedicated 24/7 support for anyone who is struggling or in suicidal crisis, as well as support for those who have loved ones who might be at risk. Telephone and chat options available.
- World Health Organization (WHO): updated facts and information about the COVID-19 pandemic and other health issues impacting the world. Links and resources including: FAQS, information by country, advice for staying safe, warnings about scams and myths, travel advice, research, and more.