Troy’s nationally accredited 50+ program provides activities and services to persons 50 and older. The Troy Community Center serves as a focal point to gather for programs offering support, information, activity, socialization and personal growth.
50+ Programs Survey 2017
Please assist us by participating in our 15-20 minute survey. The first 100 respondents will be eligible for a $10 coupon towards a qualifying 50+ class. Survey closes Saturday, December 30, 2017. For details and to take the survey, visit surveymonkey.com/r/Troy50.
Subscribing to the Fifty Forward Senior Citizen Newsletter
There are three ways to receive the 50+ newsletter, which is published 12 times per year:
- Pick up a free copy at the Community Center on or after the 20th of each month prior to publication.
- Get it Free Online Enter your e-mail address and click Submit. Confirm your e-mail address and click Submit again. Click Finish to subscribe to other City of Troy offerings, or click Close.
- Receive it through the mail by submitting the fee and completing the Registration Form. The cost for Troy residents is $4 per year beginning with the July issue and prorated quarterly. Pay $4 on or before 8/15, $3 between 8/16 and 11/15, $2 between 11/16 and 2/15, and $1 after 2/16. Non-residents pay $6 per year, prorated as above.
Services provided through the Recreation Department
- Captioned Telephone: A demonstration captioned telephone is available at the Community Center. Those with hearing loss can obtain these phones for free with a verification letter from their audiologist.
- Craft Supplies: Craft supplies may be donated to the Community Center for program use or for others to take home. The craft closet is located in the Arts and Crafts room at the Community Center.y
- Document Shredding at the Troy Civic Center: Offered twice a year in the spring and fall. See the Fifty Forward for details. Co-sponsored by the Friends of Troys Seniors.
- Employment Referral List: The Friends of Troy Seniors maintain a list of individuals who will provide home care for seniors. Call 248.526.2608 to get a copy of the list or to have your name added to the list.
- Focus Hope Food: Focus Hope food is distributed at the Community Center on the fourth Thursday of each month (date will vary in November and December) to income elgible persons age 60+. See the Fifty Forward for details.
- Home Chore Program: The home chore program assists low income persons age 62 and over with grass cutting, spring yard cleanup, gutter cleaning and snow removal. To apply, call 248.524.1147. Also see SHARP below.
- Hospital Equipment Loan Closet: Borrow wheelchairs, ramps (maximum height 2 steps), walkers, canes, crutches,, and shower chairs at the Troy Community Center. Call 248.524.3484 for more information.
- Hot Lunch: A federally funded hot lunch is served Monday–Friday at noon to persons 60 and older at the Community Center. A $3.50 donation is suggested. No reservations.
- Housing Rehabilitation Program: Troy participates in the Oakland County Community Development program that provides assistance in obtaining low interest installment and deferred payment home improvement loans. For more information and an application, call 248.858.5401.
- Jigsaw Puzzle and Magazine Exchange: Used puzzles and recent magazines are exchanged free of charge at the Community Center.
- Leaf Raking: Low-income seniors can receive free leaf raking from Troy People Concerned. Call 248.528.9199.
- Low Income Scholarship: Qualifying seniors can receive a 25% discount on recreaiton classes. Apply at the Community Center.
- Meals on Wheels: Home delivered lunches are available Monday–Friday to shut-ins age 60 and older. Ensure is also available for delivery. Call 248.689.0001.
- Medication Disposal: Operation Medicine Cabinet allows for proper disposal of prescription drugs. Put pills in plastic bags. No liquids accepted. Drop off at the Troy Police Department Monday–Friday, 7 am–10 pm or Saturday, 8 am–4 pm.
- Property Tax Deferment: If you are 62 or older and of limited income, you may be able to defer your summer property taxes. Call the Treasurer's Office at 248.524.3333 for more information.
- Property Tax Relief: Property tax relief is available for low-income residents. To find out if you qualify, contact the Assessing Department at 248.524.3311.
- SHARP Home Repair : The SHARP (Senior Home Assistance Repair Program) helps seniors 60 and older and persons with disabilities with home repairs. The work is done by volunteers and usually involves jobs that can be done in an hour or two. Labor is free, but you must pay for supplies if able. Call 248.528.2929 to request a repair.
- SHARP Home Computer Assitance: Seniors 60 and older and persons with disabilities can get in-home computer assitance. Call 248.528.2929 to request service.
- Tax Assistance: AARP volunteers provide free tax assistance to low-income seniors on Fridays in February through April at the Community Center. Appointment required. See the Fifty Forward for details. Co-sponsored by the Friends of Troy Seniors.
- Video Magnifier: Magnify print up to 45 times with the video magnifier in the senior reading room at the Community Center. Instructions are posted.