Senior Resources

Senior Resource Provided throughout Troy and Southeast Michigan

Social Services 

  • Blind and Low Vision Services: The Michigan Bureau of Services for Blind Persons provides advocacy and rehabilitation services to legally blind persons 55 and older.  This free service is available to all regardless of income.  For information, call 800.292.4200.
    • Legally blind adults can receive education and rehabilitation services from the nonprofit Greater Detroit Agency for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Call 313.272.3900.
    • The Detroit Radio Information Service (DRIS) is a free closed-circuit broadcast service for blind and print-impaired persons. It offers the reading of local and national newspapers and magazines, TV listings, public service announcements, short stories, store advertisements, and more. Call 313.577.4224 to get a radio. 
    • Oakland County Talking Books has described movies you can borrow. Call 248.650.7150
  • Caregivers Assistance: The Area Agency on Aging 1-B can help caregivers determine which home care options are available.  Some options include assistance with housekeeping, meal preparation, bathing and grooming, transportation and short-term respite opportunities.  For more information call 800.852.7795 or visit 
  • Catholic Charities: Provides adult day services and senior volunteer services. Call 855.882.2736 or visit
  • Day Care: For referrals to adult day care providers in the Troy area, call the Area Agency on Aging at 800.852.7795
  • Deaf & Hearing Impaired Services: This non-profit agency provides a continuum of services for deaf and hearing impaired older adults and their families. Call 248.473.1888.
  • Elder Abuse: If you are being physically or mentally abused by a spouse or family member, or suspect this is happening to an elderly neighbor, call the Michigan Department of Human Services for Oakland County at 855.444.3911.
  • Elder Care Locator: This nationwide directory assistance service of the Administration on Aging can put you in touch with local services that help seniors remain independent. Contact 800.677.1116 or
  • Elderlaw of Michigan: This agency will help you with a variety of services including food stamps, Medicaid, financial assistance, pension rights, legal hotline, benefit enrollment and elder abuse. Call 800.347.5297 or visit
  • Emergency Cell Phones: Free cell phones able to dial 911 only are available at the Oakland County Sheriff’s office. Call 248.975.9700.
  • Emergency Services from Lighthouse of Oakland County: Low income Oakland County residents in a crisis situation may be able to receive food, housing and utility assistance from Lighthouse. Call 248.920.6100.
  • Food Assistance
    • MiCAFE can help you apply for a Bridge Card (food stamps).  Call 877.664.2233 or visit           
    • Focus Hope food is distributed at the Troy Community Center once a month. See the Fifty Forward for details. 
    • Contact Troy People Concerned at 248.528.9199 for holiday food baskets.
    • St. Anastasia Church in Troy operates a food pantry. Call 248.689.8380 for more information.
  • Oakland Livingston Human Service Agency: This nonprofit United Way agency offers many social services to low-income seniors including chore service and installation of home safety devices (grab bars, raised toilet seats, etc). Call 248.542.5860 or visit
  • Social Security: Contact 800.772.1213 or for social security information.
  • Telephone Assistance: Qualifying low income persons may apply for the Lifeline Telephone Assistance Program to receive discounts on telephone bills.  You may receive assistance for your land line or wireless line, but not both. If you have questions, call the Michigan Public Service Commission at 517.284.8100.
  • Utility Assistance: Assistance paying utility bills may be available through the Oakland Livingston Human Service Agency if you have a shut-off notice or past due bill. Call 248.542.5860.
  • Veterans Benefits: Oakland County Veteran’s Services has experienced counselors who provide assistance to veterans filing claims or appealing decisions regarding benefits. Call 248.655.1250.

Housing Services in Troy
 Type of Housing Name Address Phone Number Notes 
Subsidized Independent Living Senior Housing Complex 920 on the Park  920 John R, Troy, MI 48083  248.588.7611  
Subsidized Independent Living Senior Housing Complex Oakland Park Towers  930 John R, Troy, MI 48083  248.585.9340  
Subsidized Independent Living Senior Housing Complex Bethany Villa  1680 Jackson, Troy, MI 48083  248.689.5838  
Independent Living Complex American House Troy  2300 Grand Haven, Troy, MI 48083  248.589.3555  Medicaid Waiver Program
 Assisted Living  Clare Bridge House 4900 Northfield Parkway, Troy, MI 48098 248.267.9500   For memory impaired
 Assisted Living  Wynwood House
 4850 Northfield Parkway, Troy, MI 48098  248.952.5533  
 Assisted Living  Sunrise Assisted Living  6870 Crooks Rd, Troy, Mi 48098  248.293.1200  
 Adult Foster Care  Oak Manor  2316 John R, Troy, MI 48083  248.689.7755  

For a Complete List of Senior Citizen Housing Options in Oakland County,
call the Area Agency on Aging 1-B at 800.852.7795.

Facility Registration
All retirement facilities (often called continuing care facilities) that require an entrance fee must be registered with the Michigan Department of Community Health and must provide you with a disclosure statement describing the services they provide before you sign a lease. To find out if a facility is registered, call 517.372.1837. You may also call this number to file a complaint or to check if a complaint has been filed.

Long Term Care Assistance
The State Long Term Care Ombudsman will provide information about long term care facilities in Michigan and investigate and help resolve complaints about these facilities. Call 866.485.9393.

For Help Selecting a Nursing Home
Contact Lakeshore Legal Aid at 586.510.1814 or visit their website.