Senior Resources

Senior Resources

Helpful Community Resources for Seniors and Caregivers

Follow links or call these resources for more information. 
  • Area Agency on Aging 1-B: Services and resources for seniors or those caring for older adults. Resources include information on: housing, transportation, Meals on Wheels, legal assistance, support groups for families of caregivers, bill paying assistance, government assistance eligibility, help for seniors with disabilities, and more.1.800.852.7795
    TTY: 1.800.649.3777 (Michigan Relay)
  • Catholic Charities of Southeast Michigan: Serving people of all faiths in times of need. Provides services and resources for adoption and foster care, adult day health services, food assistance, behavioral health, Hispanic outreach services, crisis intervention, and more.1.855.882.2736
  • Gleaners Community Food Bank: Provides essential resources and access to food for those in need within Southeastern Michigan.866.453.2637You can also get help with food assistance in Michigan by dialing 2-1-1
  • Haven of Oakland County: Provides resources and support for those experiencing domestic or sexual violence and survivors. Haven provides support in the form of: shelter, counseling, court advocacy and more. 24/7 Crisis & Support: 248.334.1274Toll-Free Crisis Line: 1.877.922.1274TTY: 248.972.2540
  • Lighthouse of Southeast Michigan: Helps provide basic needs such as food and emergency shelter for those in need. Provides direct assistance in finding clothing, rental/assistance, shelter, and crisis referrals.248.920.6000
  • Michigan 2-1-1: An all-in-one resource for community help and support within your community. Individuals can find help with food, housing, paying bills, crisis support, education, transportation, employment, childcare, healthcare, and more. Multilingual help available 24/7 via telephone, text, and chat.Dial 2-1-1 or 844.875.9211Text your zip code to 898211
  • Michigan Humane Society: provides compassionate care and resources for animals in the community. Services and resources include pet adoption, fostering, advocacy, cruelty investigation, vet clinic, free pet sterilization, and more.  1.866.MHUMANE
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): SNAP helps low-income individuals and families buy the food they need to stay healthy The National Kidney Foundation of Michigan (NKFM) can help Michigan seniors aged 60+ apply and enroll in SNAP benefits. Call 313.259.1574 ex. 3160 or email SNAP@NKFM.org to apply. NKFM offers SNAP application assistance in English, if other languages are needed MIBridges offers fee Language Assistance Services available at (517)-241-2112
  • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): Resources provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that help find treatment options for those suffering from substance abuse, mental and behavioral health issues and emotion distress brought upon by natural and human-caused disasters. They offer a Disaster Distress Helpline, 1.800.985.5990, which is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. It offers toll-free, confidential and multi-lingual assistance from trained counselors.24/7 national crisis counseling hotline: 1.800.985.5990Text TalkWithUs to 66746
  • Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Provides resources and dedicated 24/7 support for anyone who is struggling or in suicidal crisis, as well as support for those who have loved ones who might be at risk. Telephone and chat options available.1.800.273.8255TTY: 1.800.799.4889

Senior Resource Provided throughout Troy and Southeast Michigan

Social Services 
  • Blind and Low Vision Services: The Michigan Bureau of Services for Blind Persons provides advocacy and rehabilitation services to legally blind persons 55 and older.  This free service is available to all regardless of income.  For information, call 800.292.4200.
    • Legally blind adults can receive education and rehabilitation services from the nonprofit Greater Detroit Agency for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Call 313.272.3900.
    • The Detroit Radio Information Service (DRIS) is a free closed-circuit broadcast service for blind and print-impaired persons. It offers the reading of local and national newspapers and magazines, TV listings, public service announcements, short stories, store advertisements, and more. Call 313.577.4224 to get a radio. 
    • Oakland County Talking Books has described movies you can borrow. Call 248.650.7150
  • Caregivers Assistance: The Area Agency on Aging 1-B can help caregivers determine which home care options are available.  Some options include assistance with housekeeping, meal preparation, bathing and grooming, transportation and short-term respite opportunities.  For more information call 800.852.7795 or visit aaa1b.com
  • Catholic Charities: Provides adult day services and senior volunteer services. Call 855.882.2736 or visit ccsem.org.
  • Day Care: For referrals to adult day care providers in the Troy area, call the Area Agency on Aging at 800.852.7795
  • Deaf & Hearing Impaired Services: This non-profit agency provides a continuum of services for deaf and hearing impaired older adults and their families. Call 248.473.1888.
  • Elder Abuse: If you are being physically or mentally abused by a spouse or family member, or suspect this is happening to an elderly neighbor, call the Michigan Department of Human Services for Oakland County at 855.444.3911.
  • Elder Care Locator: This nationwide directory assistance service of the Administration on Aging can put you in touch with local services that help seniors remain independent. Contact 800.677.1116 or eldercare.gov.
  • Emergency Cell Phones: Free cell phones able to dial 911 only are available at the Oakland County Sheriff’s office. Call 248.975.9700.
  • Emergency Services from Lighthouse of Oakland County: Low income Oakland County residents in a crisis situation may be able to receive food, housing and utility assistance from Lighthouse. Call 248.920.6100.
  • Food Assistance
    • MiCAFE can help you apply for a Bridge Card (food stamps).  Call 877.664.2233 or visit elderlawofmi.org/services.           
    • Focus Hope food is distributed at the Troy Community Center once a month. You must be 60 or older with a household monthly income of $1,354 or less ($1,832 or less for a two person household–both can receive food). Click here for application.
    • Contact Troy People Concerned at 248.528.9199 for holiday food baskets.
    • St. Anastasia Church in Troy operates a food pantry. Call 248.689.8380 for more information.
  • Oakland Livingston Human Service Agency: This nonprofit United Way agency offers many social services to low-income seniors including chore service and installation of home safety devices (grab bars, raised toilet seats, etc). Call 248.542.5860 or visit olhsa.org.
  • Social Security: Contact 800.772.1213 or ssa.gov for social security information.
  • Senior Home Assistance Repair Program: (SHARP) is available for Troy homeowners that are either seniors age 60 and over, physically challenged or active military personnel. The goal is to enhance quality of life by making homes safer, and reducing the stress and confusion involved with making home repairs. Labor is provided free by volunteers and supplies are paid for by homeowners. If you need assistance, call SHARP at 248.212.0059. 
  • Telephone Assistance: Qualifying low income persons may apply for the Lifeline Telephone Assistance Program to receive discounts on telephone bills.  You may receive assistance for your land line or wireless line, but not both. If you have questions, call the Michigan Public Service Commission at 517.284.8100.
  • Utility Assistance: Assistance paying utility bills may be available through the Oakland Livingston Human Service Agency if you have a shut-off notice or past due bill. Call 248.542.5860.
  • Veterans Benefits: Oakland County Veteran’s Services has experienced counselors who provide assistance to veterans filing claims or appealing decisions regarding benefits. Call 248.655.1250.

Housing Services in Troy

 Type of Housing Name Address Phone Number
Subsidized Independent Living Senior Housing Complex 920 on the Park  920 John R, Troy, MI 48083  248.588.7611
Subsidized Independent Living Senior Housing Complex Oakland Park Towers  930 John R, Troy, MI 48083  248.585.9340
Subsidized Independent Living Senior Housing Complex Bethany Villa  1792 Jackson, Troy, MI 48083  248.689.5838
Independent Living Complex American House Troy  2300 Grand Haven, Troy, MI 48083  248.436.4621
 Assisted Living Brookdale Troy  4850 Northfield Parkway, Troy, MI 48098  248.952.5533
 Assisted Living Sunrise Assisted Living  6870 Crooks Rd, Troy, Mi 48098  248.293.1200
 Adult Foster Care Oak Manor  2316 John R, Troy, MI 48083  248.689.7755

For a Complete List of Senior Citizen Housing Options in Oakland County, call the Area Agency on Aging 1-B at 800.852.7795.

Facility Registration

All retirement facilities (often called continuing care facilities) that require an entrance fee must be registered with the Michigan Department of Community Health and must provide you with a disclosure statement describing the services they provide before you sign a lease. To find out if a facility is registered, call 517.372.1837. You may also call this number to file a complaint or to check if a complaint has been filed.

Long Term Care Assistance

The State Long Term Care Ombudsman will provide information about long term care facilities in Michigan and investigate and help resolve complaints about these facilities. Call 866.485.9393.