- Hospital Equipment Loan Closet: Borrow wheelchairs, walkers, canes, crutches, ramps, toilet chairs, and shower chairs for free. Stop in to Troy Community Center during admin hours to drop off donations or borrow items. Call us ahead of time at 248.524.3484 to check availability of items.
- Medicare Counseling: Juliana Lord, certified Medicare/Medicaid AAA1B counselor, offers assistance with enrollment, claims, or denials of service. For Part D enrollment, bring your prescriptions. Appointments required. Schedule your appointment through the Friends of Troy Seniors at 248.526.2608. Availability is Fridays from 10 am–1 pm.
- Boxed Lunch Pick Up: Provided by Western Oakland County Meals on Wheels. Call their office before 12 pm at 810.632.2155 to reserve a box. $5 per persons under 60, and $3 for those above age 60.
- Troy R.Y.D.E.: Troy R.Y.D.E. provides transportation to Troy residents that are 60+ or adults 18+ with disabilities. Troy R.Y.D.E is available for medical appointments, shopping, employment, and recreational activities and vehicles are wheelchair accessible. Contact 248.457.1100 for reservations. General service boundaries are:
North: Auburn Road including Barclay Circle
South: 12 Mile Road
East: Mound Road
West: Southfield Road, Adams Road
- Oakland Meals on Wheels: Provides homebound seniors with daily delivery of hot nutritious food delivered by a caring person interested in their safety and well being. Call 248.689.0001 or visit their website.
- Technology Resources at Troy Community Center
- Free Computer Disc Erasure: 3rd Wednesday of each month, 10 am–12 pm. No registration required, but you must sign in at the door.
- Free Drop-In Computer Lab: Mondays, 9 am–12 pm. Subject to lab monitor availability. No registration required, but you must sign in at the door.
- Private Computer Consultation: $7 Residents, $10 Non-Residents. 45-minute appointments are available between 9:30–11:45 am on the 4th Wednesday of the month. Use Act #7802 online or in person to schedule your appointment at least one week in advance. Fee is non-refundable.
- SHARP In Home Computer Help: Computer assistance for Seniors (60+) and physically challenged individuals who are Troy residents. Get in-home help using or maintaining your Windows PC. At this time support is not available for Apple products. To set up an appointment, call SHARP at 248.212.0059.
Follow links or call these resources for more information.
- Area Agency on Aging 1-B: Services and resources for seniors or those caring for older adults. Resources include information on: housing, transportation, Meals on Wheels, legal assistance, support groups for families of caregivers, bill paying assistance, government assistance eligibility, help for seniors with disabilities, and more.1.800.852.7795
TTY: 1.800.649.3777 (Michigan Relay)
- Gleaners Community Food Bank: Provides essential resources and access to food for those in need within Southeastern Michigan.866.453.2637You can also get help with food assistance in Michigan by dialing 2-1-1
- Haven of Oakland County: Provides resources and support for those experiencing domestic or sexual violence and survivors. Haven provides support in the form of: shelter, counseling, court advocacy and more. 24/7 Crisis & Support: 248.334.1274Toll-Free Crisis Line: 1.877.922.1274TTY: 248.972.2540
- Michigan 2-1-1: An all-in-one resource for community help and support within your community. Individuals can find help with food, housing, paying bills, crisis support, education, transportation, employment, childcare, healthcare, and more. Multilingual help available 24/7 via telephone, text, and chat.Dial 2-1-1 or 844.875.9211Text your zip code to 898211
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): SNAP helps low-income individuals and families buy the food they need to stay healthy The National Kidney Foundation of Michigan (NKFM) can help Michigan seniors aged 60+ apply and enroll in SNAP benefits. Call 313.259.1574 ex. 3160 or email SNAP@NKFM.org to apply. NKFM offers SNAP application assistance in English, if other languages are needed MIBridges offers fee Language Assistance Services available at (517)-241-2112
Senior Resource Provided throughout Troy and Southeast Michigan
- Blind and Low Vision Services: The Michigan Bureau of Services for Blind Persons provides advocacy and rehabilitation services to legally blind persons 55 and older. This free service is available to all regardless of income. For information, call 800.292.4200.
- Legally blind adults can receive education and rehabilitation services from the nonprofit Greater Detroit Agency for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Call 313.272.3900.
- The Detroit Radio Information Service (DRIS) is a free closed-circuit broadcast service for blind and print-impaired persons. It offers the reading of local and national newspapers and magazines, TV listings, public service announcements, short stories, store advertisements, and more. Call 313.577.4224 to get a radio.
- Oakland County Talking Books has described movies you can borrow. Call 248.650.7150.
- Caregivers Assistance: The Area Agency on Aging 1-B can help caregivers determine which home care options are available. Some options include assistance with housekeeping, meal preparation, bathing and grooming, transportation and short-term respite opportunities. For more information call 800.852.7795 or visit aaa1b.com.
- Elder Abuse: If you are being physically or mentally abused by a spouse or family member, or suspect this is happening to an elderly neighbor, call the Michigan Department of Human Services for Oakland County at 855.444.3911.
- Emergency Cell Phones: Free cell phones able to dial 911 only are available at the Oakland County Sheriff’s office. Call 248.975.9700.
- Emergency Services from Lighthouse of Oakland County: Low income Oakland County residents in a crisis situation may be able to receive food, housing and utility assistance from Lighthouse. Call 248.920.6100.
- Food Assistance
- Focus Hope food is distributed at the Troy Community Center once a month. You must be 60 or older with a household monthly income of $1,354 or less ($1,832 or less for a two person household–both can receive food). Click here for application.
- Contact Troy People Concerned at 248.528.9199 or their website for more information.
- Oakland Livingston Human Service Agency: This nonprofit United Way agency offers many social services to low-income seniors including chore service and installation of home safety devices (grab bars, raised toilet seats, etc). Call 248.542.5860 or visit olhsa.org.
- Social Security: Contact 800.772.1213 or ssa.gov for social security information.
- Senior Home Assistance Repair Program: (SHARP) is available for Troy homeowners that are either seniors age 60 and over, physically challenged or active military personnel. The goal is to enhance quality of life by making homes safer, and reducing the stress and confusion involved with making home repairs. Labor is provided free by volunteers and supplies are paid for by homeowners. If you need assistance, call SHARP at 248.212.0059.
- Veterans Benefits: Oakland County Veteran’s Services has experienced counselors who provide assistance to veterans filing claims or appealing decisions regarding benefits. Call 248.655.1250.
Interested in having your resource added to this page?
Please visit the Senior Advertising page for more information.